Sunday, January 6, 2013

Christmas Breaks as a teacher....

Oh, I have enjoyed the last few weeks getting ready for Christmas and celebrating time off, both in Minneapolis, Afton and in NC.

At the start of break Mark and I had one day together before we headed to celebrate the holidays with our parents. We spent the time opening up Christmas gifts from our students, watching Christmas movies and eating the Christmas gifts from our kids :) Below you'll see my Thank You cards I made, we decided (I decided) that it would be more fun to make our own cards than to buy some.
In addition, before we left I was able to make a present for my Secret Santa, a wonderful tradition my Suite Mates and I have had since we were in college. This year my secret santa was ANNA and I knew I'd be seeing her in W-S (See picture below for our New Year's Eve Celebration) So I painted her a quote I liked. Paul likes it so much I think I'll paint one for him too!

Our travels began as we headed to Afton, MN to celebrate with the Aronson side of the family. It was neat to get to have a mini "Christmas" day there before Christmas. Chris (Mark's brother) just moved back from Colorado, his 3 kids were there, Anne, Mike and, Max, Mark's grandparents, his wonderful uncle Bob who sang at our wedding, and of course his parents! We had fun playing with Max (see the picture of the stickers below, as well as his precious Christmas "dress") and opening gifts and having dinner. Nancy found the perfect gift of MITTENS which I have so badly needed over my $1 pair of target gloves I've been trying to get away with...Note does not work in MN weather!


Visiting Grandma
Playing Games

Rosie


New Pup

After we left MN Christmas Eve, to a white 12 degree day, we arrived safe and problem less in NC! We got to spend 10 days with my family: playing games, walking in the WARM 40 degrees with Dad, watching the Hobbit, going to the YMCA, opening presents (which Rosie ate... Thanks for replacing it mom!) visiting extended family (Thanks Christina!), slack lining, making sushi and meeting Paul's Girlfriend SUSAN!


 Also if you don't know what Slack lining is, look it up, super addictive and fun, kind of like walking on a low bouncy tightrope.






















In addition, in true Gerlach fashion my parents got a new dog! (As if Crazy Rosie was not already enough!) But luckily Buddy/Tony/Teddy (he takes after Cici/Riley) is a VERY good dog, super laid back, super mellow and very sweet!







To start the new year 2013, back in MN Mark and I are staying positive and peaceful :) (More me than Mark, he doesn't make New Year's Resolutions, and he's already laid back enough). We had people over last night to watch the Vikings game, and although the loss was sad we had a fun time. Today I made a smoothie to pay tribute to my brother and his girlfriend, who's diet consist of smoothies, bagels with cream cheese, and sushi. Go figure :) And also made a Christmas wreath out of on sale Holiday materials... I think it could almost work for Valentine's day too? :) So I'd say we are starting out 2013 right! Let's see how things continue as school starts tomorrow.... Wish me luck!


































1 comment: