Sunday, April 14, 2013

Being Happy Where You Are

This morning I finished the book, The Happiness Project, the one I posted about a few posts back. One in which a woman takes on a resolution every month for a year to help increase her happiness in her life. One of the main take aways from the book is that you are happy when you think you are happy... create happiness where you are!

I really enjoyed the book and feel like it fit in well where I was this past week. Springtime has been here for a while....

Beautiful flower from student
But outside it still looks like this...
Yes, it has snowed every day here since Tuesday evening... I was depressed about it Tuesday. The daunting thought of a week of snow made me feel like this...
But after I spent a day being depressed I decided I needed to accept what was and enjoy it! We've been having a wonderful time even if it is still cold. It made me think of places that are always snowy
 and cold (I've been told this is unusual here!) And I decided to focus on the positive of the weather! Taking CICI through a walk today and watching her dive into a half icy lake to chase after birds, and then have to walk the rest of our hour walk freezing in the snow, and still enjoying herself helped me focus on the positive. I enjoyed the last snowy walk I will probably ever have at Wirth Park in Minneapolis, since we are moving in a month!

We also didn't let the snow get to us on Friday when we had a girls night to celebrate my birthday! I still enjoyed my free birthday cup from Baskin Robbins
Mark and I still found a couple of hours before the snow to use my slack line gift....

He got it one time :)
This is what he usually looked like

Unbalance is balance...right Paul?

We also enjoyed a trip to watch the Timberwolves play, and Mark even enjoyed a snowy Twins Game.
I agree with Gretchen (author of the book) when she said you have to stay positive to be happy, and you can be positive in the face of any kind of circumstance. So that's what I'm trying to continue doing. Heck.... we're supposed to get snow again this week? Bring it ON!
(No but really.... we'd be ok with some sun too.) :)

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like a great book! I'm going to read it too. And, Spring can't be far now- at least you are not struggling with allergies like I am!

    ReplyDelete