Saturday, July 3, 2010

Summer of Books

So it's been extremely weird for me this summer being with LOADS of free time and almost nothing to do. I'm not in Kansas City so I can't clean my house, run errands, help out at school, I'm in NC. None of my friends are here, just me and a lot of time with family and books. So I've taken it upon myself to read as many books as I'd like and it's been wonderful, and I decided to write about a few of the books and my thoughts.

1. The Help:
This was a book reccomended to me by Anna, and was about Mississippi when there was still extreme segregation and prejudice among black and white citizens (wait there isn't now?) Anyways, it was a great book that really showed the view of female black housekeepers and the way they were treated by their white bosses, and one girl's attempt to change people's minds. Reading the book helped me to see why there is still such segregation in so many areas, especially the deep South.
2. Baking Cakes In Kigali
A random book that I just happened to pick up at the library because it was colored and looked neat. Reading the summary hooked me. It was about a cake baker (who doesn't like cake?) and her living in Kigali Africa shortly after the Rwandan Genocide. The book deals with very heavy topics such as genocide and the aids epidemic and really makes a person reflect on how differnet life can be in different areas of the world. Yet somehow, thanks to the cake, it was lighthearted and funny.
3. Deadlock
Not really worth writing about, a silly little suspense/murder mystery type of book.
4. Walk Two Moons
Reccomended to our class by our graduate school professor. She raved about the book for two semesters straight and I thought to myself "HOW CAN THIS BOOK BE SO GOOD!?" i picked it out because she was an awesome professor and if she thought I should read it to my students I decided I should read it first. Let me say I started reading it at 10 pm one night... didn't put it down until a little before 1 am when i finished it. A great story about a little girl dealing with death and friendships on a week long road trip with her grandparents. Author just writes so well, thanks Sharon Creech.
5. True Notebooks
By far one of my favorites i've read this summer. A non-fiction piece written by an author who volunteered at a juvenille penitentiary in California. He shares his experiences with the boys and their works of writing that show that these boys are just humans who have made some poor choices or have been at the wrong place at the wrong time due to their circumstances and situations. The book has brought me to tears several times, especially when I'm reminded of one of my student's or their families, but it really touches on the importance of showing each person their worth and that there is always opportunity for change and becoming the best person you can be.
6. Sizzling Sixteen..
about to start :) a silly little series by Janet Evanovich but i love her haha i have to.

BUT if anyone knows any great books, ESPECIALLY good teacher books PLEASE let me know, i'd love any reccomendations because obviously I have NOTHING but time until July 21st when I head back to KC and start moving into my new school, getting a new car, getting things ready for Teach for America and getting ready to start w/ the everyday grind once again!

No comments:

Post a Comment